Friday, April 20, 2012

"Day Starters"

I am blogging about this for one reason...accountability. We have started doing "day starters" in our home. The kids and I are using a pretty simple Veggie Tale Devotional book and taking about 5 to 10 minutes before school to spend some time talking about Jesus. Our life with three kiddos sometimes keeps up going from here to there and everywhere without much thought of the the in between. So please ask me about these important touch points when you see me. It will help me stay accountable and keep us encouraged to live out the Word.

" Love God, your God, with your whole heart: love him with all that's in you, love him with all you've got! Write these commandments that I've given you today on your hearts. Get them inside of you and then get them inside your children. Talk about them wherever you are, sitting at home or walking in the street; talk about them from the time you get up in the morning to when you fall into bed at night. Tie them on your hands and foreheads as a reminder; inscribe them on the doorposts of your homes and on your city gates." Deuteronomy 5:5-9

In addition to accountability I am hoping we can encourage one another by sharing ideas and such. Its so important to train our children in the way they should go. We have only had three "day starters" so far this week but all have been fun. At most we have taken 10 minutes and its been really doable. My kiddos even made a little play to act out for Sammy over our first verse Luke 3:11. Before beginning this endeavour I prayed for simplicity. And the Lord was so good to show the very simple nature of discipleship. I often make it very complicated and elaborate. I have fancy crafts, catchy songs, and themed snacks! The "teaching moment" (which I completely created) is over and my kids are left sitting in glue, glitter, gorged, and confused; and I am tired. So this time instead its simple. I prayed for an obedient heart, bought a book that was already written, and decided mornings while they eat would be a great time. I read what is written and then I am quiet. I have let them talk even if it means we chase a few rabbits! I know He will reward our faithfulness with seeds that stick!

So give me tips, ideas, etc that you do with your kiddos. The goal I have in mind is just to always keep Jesus central in our lives. Thanks for checking in and more to come soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment