Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Love and Pray

We have been serving and working with the Shawnee Rescue Mission since about February of last year or so....and whenever we go I leave different. They serve lunch to the homeless and impoverished weekly on Weds. and its been tough for us to attend. Either sick kiddo, home school goes long, or we just don't go....but when we do we leave different. Not just me the kids too. I have never sat them down and said "we are going to serve the homeless today...." we just went and I let them ask questions as they wanted to. Little by little they have grown to really love these people. They may not know their names or their story but they love them and even look forward to seeing them. The cool thing is my kids haven't ever asked me well why is so and so homeless....or what is wrong with so and so that they don't have money or fill in the blank.....they just pray for the God to bless these people and for them to have homes and food. It occurred to me that its their innocence that allows that kind of love-unconditional. I am envious, while I try- still questions go through my head of why this or that....and a hint of skepticism still inhibits my serving with my whole heart. I don't think Jesus cared why someone was where they were He just loved them.
The second thing I notice about my kids when they leave these lunches is they aren't brainstorming up ways to "fix" the problem relying only on themselves. They just love and pray. I leave after hearing about people getting kicked out of a bathroom downtown they were sleeping in, planning ways to get them on housing and trying to see if I can rent them a motel for a night and on and on....they love and pray. Service is good and requires action....I just hope my service for the kingdom and for these people comes from a place of love and prayer. It a simple formula love, pray, and then wait on God....then serve with talents He has given to the joy of others. My kids get this....me not so much. Love, pray, and let God fix.....my plan from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment