Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Be Awake

I feel awake today.  Sometimes I feel like I go through an entire day of routine without being awake. I can snuggle babies, make breakfast, kiss boo boos, iron clothes, do laundry, clean dishes, play wii, play a board game, read a book...all without really even being "awake" or plugged in.  To some this would be seen as a good thing, but in my eyes its dangerous.  I can get in a fog sometimes in life.  I function and I get done what has to be done, but I can't squeeze much joy out of that.  Sometimes the fogs are the result of stress or business   Sometimes its a trial that I am going through and I allow it to suck all of my energy.  Sometimes it is because I am weary- just plain tired.  Sometimes I am foggy out of selfishness.

Today I am awake.  Wide awake.  I have seen every detail of the day clearly.  I noticed when my eyes popped open my head was congested more than normal   I heard the voice of my husband as he urged me to take some cold medicine and to rest more than normal.  I let his words soak in and the look in his eyes and his hand on my shoulder said "i love you- go slow- rest"!  When one of my little guys jumped in my bed, I saw how his eyes closed when his head hit my shoulder.  When I was at Walmart talking with the cashier, I saw her posture change when I asked how she was and about her boys.  She smiled when talked of how they fight always, but missed each other when they were apart.  I saw a tear well in a friend's eye as she spoke through her grief, I also saw her relaxed smile when she talked of the sun soaked walk she had today.  I felt in the pit of my stomach the need to be with my Bible study girls tomorrow- so I canceled my eye appointment.  I see the wind blowing my daughters hair, as she plays, revealing a sweet face somewhere in between little girl and young lady.  I smell the clean laundry today as I change it.  

I am awake.  My mind is awake and alert.  I am hearing the rustling of the pages of my Bible.  I love that sound.  I am humble and awake.  Words read a million times soak in today to new places.  And my appreciation for my Living Savior is great and awake!     


I am humble in God's hand and He has lifted me up.  I am not anxiously foggy-going from one thing to the next.  I am awakened to Him caring enough to prepare this day.  (1Peter 5:6-7)

"Be self-controlled and alert.  Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." 1Peter 5:8


I am alert, awake, controlled by self- which is controlled by Him.  The enemy can steal days upon days from us when we "sleep" through them.  The joy can be all but sucked out of a day-leaving it hard to recall and without memory.  God is so good to awaken us.  He can use love, tragedy, a song, a verse, a friend, a husband, or His Spirit.  

So then let us not sleep, as others do, but let us keep awake and be sober
1Thess 5:6


I am going upstream today- awake...in a world that says do two, even three things at once. It says you are only as good as the items checked off your "to do "list.  It says success =business.  It says simple is unimportant. It says go through the motions. 


 I choose every moment, I choose one thing then the next, I choose to squeeze joy from today, and I choose awake!  


No comments:

Post a Comment