Friday, April 12, 2013

Gratitude equals contentment.....

Comparison, envy, covetousness, and want can steal contentment.  They have stolen some of mine.  I hate admitting that, but its true.  All of these emotions take me out out of the present.   Comparison puts me in someone else's life, envy takes me to somewhere that isn't my place, covetousness robs me of the blessing He has for me now, and want keeps me from loving where I am placed today!

Contentment is steady, sure, peaceful, satisfied, full, confident, ready....contentment is a state that happens in the present when I am most connected to God.  Comparison, envy....and so on are all emotions that are circumstantial and wavering, but contentment is based on Jesus- and He never changes.  So I am thankful that as my circumstance may change from day to day that my contentment can remain.  I can remain in Christ and in His way.  Following day to day.  Some of my days are so routine I wonder if they are really written by such a creative God, and doubt the impact of the mundane day that just flows along, but I fight against that with gratitude.  I am trying to be grateful for the "normal day".  I am trying to be grateful for the 52nd time I explain not to hit to the 3year old Ali that I parent. These kinds of days just kind of start and go, and end ,and don't make much of an imprint on my memory...until gratitude steps in.

When I look at these days with gratitude.  I see Jesus.  I am thankful for the slow pace of these days.  For the time, even the time I don't choose to use well.  I am thankful for steady sureness of what will happen.  I am thankful for the routine.  I am tempted to think that these days, normal- mundane, don't count in the grand scheme.  I am tempted to compare, or covet a different day....maybe on filled with a real important task, or maybe one filled with lots of busy going and coming, or  maybe one filled with accolades, or maybe one filled with something I am just great at- but that isn't today.

But because of His grace I can trust this day is filled with important work, and is busy with what matters, and is pleasing to my Heavenly Father, and is filled with what He has equipped me for!  I am trying to learn to be content in today because I am content in Him- the One who wrote this day.  He didn't die to give me life so I could spend it wishing it away for someone elses.   He died to give me life to spend it....and spend all of it ,even on the normal days, to lie down spent for Him.

so today I am grateful for slow, normal days.....today started with curious george and snuggling with Noah, a sweet phone call with a friend on the other side of the world, a language lesson with an exasperated 8 year old, and time to write this....it will most likely end with blueberry pancakes and movie.  Nothing spectacular  noting grand, nothing wild, nothing adventurous ...but its today and I am content with it and blessed by the Author of it!!  Enjoy today with gratitude!!! I am in the middle of this lesson :)

No comments:

Post a Comment